Legislature takes steps to protect public from Delaware City Refinery's crude-by-rail
June 6, 2013: Representative Longhurst, and Senators Poore and McBride introduced a House Concurrent Resolution HCR 27, "expressing concerns and making recommendations and requests to PBF Energy and Norfolk Southern Corporation regarding increased 'crude by rail' shipments to the Delaware City Refinery.
This concurrent resolution expresses concerns over the health, safety, noise, traffic and pollution caused by Norfolk Southern’s “crude by rail” shipments to the PBF Refinery in Delaware City. The resolution requests that PBF and Norfolk Southern:
(1) provide monthly reports detailing the crossing times of all PBF inbound and outbound trains at several Delaware crossings;
(2) increase their communication in an effort to become more efficient in the “crude by rail” shipments so as to avoid delays;
(3) work with the state and federal governments to develop more quiet zones;
(4) identify and propose additional infrastructure improvements to the rail lines to help improve efficiency and safety; and
(5) work in conjunction with DelDot and provide the required funding to maintain safe rail lines and crossings in conformance with federal and DelDot guidelines and standards.