UPDATE: Victory!!! On March 2, 2015 PNC Bank announced in their 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report that they will effectively end all financing of mountaintop removal! Shout our to our friends at Earth Quaker Action Team--this is a major victory for our movement and we were honored to be a part of it!
On Friday June 1, 2012 the Delaware Chapter of the Sierra Club closed its account with PNC Bank because its investment and lending practices were inconsistent with our values.
In August, and again in September, we spread the word about the hazards of mountaintop removal coal mining on the University of Delaware’s Newark campus with the University of Delaware’s Students for the Environment (S4E) and the Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT).
How to green your money!
- Decide to close your PNC account and open one at a local bank or credit untion.
- Wait to close your account with others to generate more public attention.
- Tell PNC what you did and why.
- Tell your friends and associates.
- If you have time and energy, recruit others and help build the movement.
- Learn more at greenpnc.org