Delaware City Title V Permit Hearing - Public comment period extended to July 5 at 4:30 pm
The public comment period for the Delaware City Refinery's Title V permit has been extended by 30 days to July 5, 2013 at 4:30 pm. Comments can be mailed to:
The Refinery is making money hand over fist right now, especially with the new less expensive product (tar sands and shale-oil) they've been hauling in via train; they do not need any more special breaks from the state. We want to make sure the Refinery is required to be a better neighbor for the surrounding community as well as for the health and saftey of the workers within the facility.
A few things we'd like in order for the refinery to receive a new Title V Permit are:
- Real-time air quality monitoring at the fenceline and in residential neighborhoods (that run continuously and can be accessed online).
- Increased safety measures to prevent flaring and pollution.
- A reduction in air pollution emissions, not an increase.
- An NPDES permit within a reasonable time frame (months).
- Accountability for the mobile emissions of the train cars (diesel train engines, off-gassing)
- An adequate and easily accessible Emergency Response plan and evacutation plan in case of a major incident.
- Pollution limits to be put in place for equipment start-up and shut down.
For more information on the Title V process or copies of the permit application and explanatory powerpoint presentation from DNREC visit: http://delaware.sierraclub.org/search/node/title%20v
Comments need not be extremely technical, but if you want advice on crafting your comments contact us at 302-468-4550 or firstname.lastname@example.org.