The Delaware City Refinery commenced operation in 1957 and has since processed a variety of crude oils at a throughput capacity of approximately 190,000 barrels of petroleum product a day. Production has included diesel, gasoline, jet fuel, fuel oil, aromatics, and methanol and propane fuels. The refinery is approximately 1-mile northwest of Delaware City, Delaware. While the refinery owns 5,050-acres of land, the refining operations occupy approximately1,000-acres. The areas north and west of the refinery are industrial, and include some RCRA and Superfund sites, and the area south of the refinery is open fields or farmland. The Delaware River lies to the east of the facility.